Thursday, April 17, 2014

Nest Pitch DM 3: LOOK AT OUR TREE


Category/Genre: PB/Multicultural

Word Count: 434

Pitch: A tree survives near the Gobi Desert and becomes part of a family. It gives help, shade, company, home, hope, strength, and a strong sense of family root.

Egg: It would taste sweet like the Sha-Zao fruit it shares.
Excerpt:

This is our tree. My ancestors planted it long ago.
It’s a Sha-Zao fruit tree.  We call it Wu-Wei, which means fearless.
Trees are very rare in my village near the Gobi Desert.
People passing by my house often stop to look at Wu-Wei.
I hug our tree, climb it, and swing from it.
My grandma, Nainai, hangs laundry on it.
Mama and my big sisters sew in the shade.
Baba and villagers chat under it in the moon light.
When I cry, Nainai says, “Look at our tree! It never sheds a tear.”
When I tumble, Mama says, “Look at our tree! It doesn’t bend.”


No comments:

Post a Comment