Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Pitch Wars ALT: DM-8: THE DRAMA QUEEN WHO CRIED WOLF

MENTOR: Fiona McLaren
ALTERNATE: Jocelyn Rish
TITLE: The Drama Queen Who Cried Wolf
CATEGORY/GENRE: YA Mystery
WORD COUNT: 76,000

PITCH: Sixteen-year-old Breanna loves horror movies and mysteries, but, unfortunately, her overactive imagination turns every situation into a big-screen thriller starring Brea. Since no one believes her when she discovers a body that disappears, it’s up to her to suit up CSI-style in yellow kitchen gloves and solve the murder herself.

EXCERPT: The woman screamed as she raced through the dark woods wearing nothing but a white towel. I shook my head. Seriously? That was a terrible outfit for trying to outrun a homicidal maniac.

She tripped and crashed to the ground, but instead of jumping back up, she cowered in the leaves.

“At least grab a tree branch to defend yourself,” I muttered, but the woman only whimpered and shook her head like that would change the killer’s mind.

He stood over her and adjusted his grip on his machete. She shrieked when he raised his arm.

As he swung the blade, something cold and wet touched my hand.

I screeched before my brain remembered the psycho couldn’t crawl through the TV screen to attack me. I glared at Maximus, my seventy-pound Frankenstein mutt taking up more than his fair share of the black leather couch beside me. “Dang, Max, you trying to give me a heart attack?”

He chuffed in a way that sounded suspiciously like a yes and then nosed my hand again.

“Really? You have to go out just when the movie’s finally getting exciting?”

Max blinked like he’d never do something so obnoxious. Then he barked at me.

I sighed super loud to make sure he knew he was inconveniencing me, but Max didn’t care because he was too busy swiveling the giant ears he’d inherited from a distant German Shepherd relative toward the sound of footsteps coming down the stairs.


2 comments:

  1. Hey, I think this sounds like something Bree Ogden might enjoy. Please send the full as a Word attachment to bree at d4eo dot com with the subject line #Pitchwars Request! Thanks!
    Jami Nord
    Intern for Bree Ogden
    www.d4eoliteraryagency.com
    www.agentbree.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds very interesting. I'd love to take a look at your first fifty pages and query. Please send the query in body of email and pages as a Word attachment to submissions@knightagency.net Subject line: #Pitchwars Request. Thanks so much!

    Melissa Jeglinski
    Agent
    The Knight Agency
    www.knightagency.net

    ReplyDelete