Sunday, May 27, 2012

Writing & Motherhood

As some of you know, I celebrated Mother's Day this year by becoming a Mom.



For now Calliope is in the NICU, trying to catch her gestational age up to her actual age. I'm learning all kinds of things I never expected to have to know about preemies and trying not to be terrified of the day she comes home.

To distract myself, I've started querying (again), re-working a manuscript that's been collecting dust in my proverbial trunk (still), and also started brainstorming/plotting a new project (oy vey, another one?).

I'm not a masochist, I swear. I'm just trying to get ahead, because I know that in the months (and years) to come, my writing time will be at a premium. Especially once I go back to my day job.

So I'm looking for the advice of my wiser, more experienced writing friends. How do you balance motherhood (or fatherhood) with writing? Especially when you have to work another job to make ends meet in the meantime?

Meanwhile, does anyone have a time machine or two extra hands I can borrow?

2 comments:

  1. I just live with my niece and my writing time has come to a screeching halt. I would suggest using a video of some kind and just record the thoughts so you can be more efficient with the time you have...when you get it.

    I will say, it does get KIND of easier as they get older and less needy.

    chin up, she's gonna teach you way more than you'll ever teach her :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does get easier, even if it doesn't seem like it will. I don't have my kids with me but I balance school writing with my actual story writing (which I'm totally behind on btw) It's not a matter of setting a goal of where it HAS to be done, just write when you can, even if it's just a paragraph or two. (which for you might turn into 3 pages...)

    The point is, don't feel bad or discouraged if you don't get a chapter completed. Writing is fun and you can do it at anytime. Life after all does come first, and you know that myself and every one else will be waiting how ever long it takes for that wonderful literary thought inducing *ahem* story to come forth. =)

    Chin up. Chest out. You can do this.

    -Kitteh

    ReplyDelete